The Feast of Saint Anne 2019 Ischia island
Giancarlo Giannini will be the special guest of the 87th edition of the Sant'Anna Festival in Ischia.
In fact, he will be the narrator of the spectacle of the float parade and of the entire evening of the 26th July 2019.
Let's find out the origin of the Festival and the 2019 program
Precisely 87 years ago, in 1932, a small group of friends decided to create an event that today is the Feast of Sant'Anna which is well-known all over the world.
In the years prior to 1932, some of the inhabitants of the village of Ischia Ponte, noticed that on July 26 many boats gathered near the Aragonese Castle
to recite prayers in front of the little church of Sant'Anna.
The religious rite was also accompanied by a rich dinner "at sea" with a typical Ischitan Styl based on a rabbit and local traditional recipes.
So that group of active Ischitans came up with the brilliant idea of creating a party in honor of this custom ... the feast of Sant'Anna.
The feast was to be an opportunity to celebrate the saint, protector of women in labor, and to combine religious with allegorical celebrations by decoring boats for the party and organizing a light show (made at the time with only lamps) on the hills of Campagnano and Soronzano.
Photo: Enzo Rando from Ischia.it
What is it about
Since 1932 many things have changed but the feast of Sant'Anna still preserves its authentic spirit, a union of history, tradition, and folklore that makes it
Nowadays, the boats decorated for the occasion have been replaced by a parade of allegorical floats on the water competing each other telling stories based on the theme of the edition. The wagons are created and designed by associations of the island.
The festival itself will take place on July 26 starting at 9.00 pm in the Bay of Cartaromana but the festivities will last about the week and we advise you to consult the program below.
The narrative voice of Giancarlo Giannini will tell about the parade of the allegorical boats at the end of which there will be the fireworks show and the spectacular show "Castle on fire".
The order of parade :
- So' Vivo
- Oceano e Teti
- L'Arca dei ricordi
- La leggenda di Nitrodi
- Dall'oscurità alla luce della salvezza
Narrator: Giancarlo Giannini
Presented by: Anna Trieste and Claudio Iacono
Music: Carlo Faiello and his ensemble
Lighting Design: Davide Scognamiglio
This year the festivities will last one week from 21st to 27th July. and we invite you to consult the program of activities.
Here below the main activities:
- Monday 22th July 2019 at 6 pm at Piazzale delle Alghe "The Fairy Tales of Water", a path of artistic experimentation for children
- Monday 22th July 2019 at 9.30 pm at Piazzale delle Alghe Marianna Corrado and Antonello Cascone in concert "Chi tene‘ o mare ".
- Tuesday 23th July 2019 at 10 am at Cartaromana Bay "Swim with the Ischia Marine Club". Sport also protagonist of ArrampiCAIa Sant’Anna: and then from 6 pm to sunset every afternoon there will be a traveling climbing wall
- Tuesday 23th July 2019 at 6 am at il piazzale delle Alghe "The Fairy Tales of Water", a journey of artistic experimentation for children
- Tuesday 23th July 2019 at 6.15 pm guided visit to the Sant'anna tower (2h), (info and booking 3317229135)
- Tuesday 23th July 2019 at 9.30 pm at Piazzale delle Alghe "Serenata Napoletana" by Pietro Quirino and quartet Calace.
- Wednesday 24 July 2019 9.30 am at Pontile della “Corteglia” Water games.
- Wednesday 24 July 2019 at 6.15 pm guided visit of Sant'Anna tower (2h), (info e reservation 3317229135)
- Wednesday 24 July 2019 at 9.30 pm at piazzale delle Alghe concert by the New People's Workshop, of ethno-popular music
- Wednesday 24 July 2019 at 7 pm the procession of pregnant women - It is one of the most beautiful moments and it is the Procession by sea of women in labor towards the little Church of Sant’Anna which will start at 7.00 pm with departure from the Corteglia pier. At 7.30 pm Holy Mass celebrated by the bishop of Ischia.
- Thursday 25 July 2019 "Operation Sant’Anna" starting at 4.30 pm there will be itinerant environmental education workshops between the village of Celsa and the places of the festivities.
- Friday 26 July 2019 The parade of allegorical boats at 9 pm at Cartaromana Bay- many guests including Giancarlo Giannini with beautiful lights and music by Carlo Faiello.
- Saturday 27 July 2019, cleaning of the cliffs and seabed by the AMP Kingdom of Neptune